Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I currently have a billing dispute regarding my credit card. While the dispute was under investigation, the bank reported my account negatively to the credit reporting agencies. Can it do this?

If you have filed a billing error dispute, the bank cannot make (or threaten to make) an adverse report about your credit standing, or report that a disputed amount—or related finance or other charges—is delinquent to any person, including a credit reporting agency while the investigation is ongoing.

However, the creditor can make an adverse report if you have failed to pay any portion of the undisputed amount due.

If you want to file a complaint with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) Customer Assistance Group, visit the File a Complaint page.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us